Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Friday, October 5, 2007

Shoes!

Will got his first real pair of shoes today. Since he started walking two weeks ago, we figured that it was time he had some shoes, so that he can walk in places other than the house (and so my mom would quit bugging me about it). I took him to Sikes, and they measured his feet. He was very well-behaved (at least during the shoe store portion of the outing) and interested in this whole new experience. As she measured Will, the saleswoman told me something I was already well aware of--Will has ENORMOUS feet. His feet have always been big; the footprints they did at the hospital barely fit on the card. She measured him as a size 6.5, double wide (for perspective, Will's friend who is three weeks younger wears a size 4).

So, once we were measured, it was onto deciding on the type of shoe. I had no idea there were so many options for little boys and can't imagine what the market must be for little girls' shoes! Anyway, I wanted Keds, but the saleswoman told me that Keds are not flexible enough for kids who are first walking. While this was probably a load of hooey, I believed her and got the ones she recommended. For FIFTY DOLLARS. Yes, you read that correctly--I paid $50 for a pair of shoes that Will will probably wear for three to four months, if we're lucky. They are navy tennis shoes (essentially), have Velcro straps, and Will loves them. I had been worried about how getting him to put on his shoes would be a hassle, but I hadn't anticipated a fight over him not wanting to take them off. When we arrived home, I immediately took off his shoes and socks, thinking that he would want to be barefoot and free around the house. Silly mama. As soon as they were off, he started crying and screaming and handing me the shoes, clearly indicating, "Put them back on!" Which is exactly what I did. Until bathtime. Even I have my limits.

No comments: