Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Saturday, March 6, 2010

Conversations With Will

I missed Wednesday Will-isms this week, and thank goodness I did, because the conversations we had on Friday turned out to be some of Will's finest:

Yesterday morning Will climbed in bed with me to snuggle and watch TV. At some point, he noted, "Mama, sometimes when I sit down, my pull-up (he still wears one to bed) or my jammies get caught up in my bottom and I have to pull them out."

Me: "Yes, Will, that's called a wedgie."

Around here, we like to start our mornings with a new vocabulary word. That's my parenting tip of the week. You can thank me later.
***********************************************

Friday afternoon, coming home from school:
W: "Today Ms. Lizzie came on the playground with us."
Me: "Oh, that's nice, do you like Ms. Lizzie?"
W: "Yes. She's brown like Ms. Katherine."
Me: (trying to figure out what to say here) "Well, yes, um...people come in all colors, shapes, and sizes, don't they?"
W: "Yes. Like how Hayden's head is funny-looking."
Me: (trying not to laugh at this point) "Will! It's not nice to call people funny-looking."
W: "Oh, Mama. It's okay, I wasn't talking to anyone, I was just talking to myself."
Me: "Well, I heard you say he was funny-looking."
W: "Yes, but Mama, I was just talking to myself."

I love how matter-of-fact he is about things and the innocence that children have. Will has no idea that it might be offensive to call someone "brown"; he just notes that information like he would note if someone had blonde hair. I hope that as he grows up, he'll continue to not care what color people are. Of course, I also hope that he'll learn not to call people funny-looking...we'll keep working on that one.

No comments: